How to repair a rubber roof – in Philadelphia.
The area that causes the leak must be identified. There are several videos on this page that will help you just do that.
In this video, I point out possible issues to look for on flashing against a chimney or brick wall.
Step 1: Determine the type of flat roof you have.
There are basically three types of rubber membranes found on flat roofs:
- EPDM Rubber Membrane – This is the most common rubber membrane found on flat roofs. You can tell it buy the look and feel of it. It is smooth and looks like the rubber of an inner tube of a tire.
- TPO Vinyl Membrane – Stands for Thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) single-ply roofing membrane. This is a white plastic or PVC type of roofing membrane
- Modified Bitumen Torch Down Rubber Membrane – This type of rubber membrane comes only in three feet wide rolls. When you see seams every three feet, then it is most likely a Modified Bitumen Torch Down Rubber Roof.
EPDM Rubber TPO Vinyl Roof Torch Down Rubber Roof
Step 2: Identify how old the roof is
An invoice or receipt will help or call the roofing contractor that did the installation. You can rough guestimate the age as well.
Advice from Flat Roof Doctor:
If the following conditions are met, then it becomes questionable to make extensive repairs on:
Life Expectancy of different Roof Membranes
- Torch Down Rubber Roof – Life expectancy changes drastically if it goes unprotected
- EPDM Rubber and TPO Vinyl Roof does not come with ultraviolet protection
Ultraviolet Rays cause roofs to fail. Depending on which part of the country and how much the roof was exposed to the sun, how long Roof Membranes will last. Roof Membrane Life Expectancy in different Heat indexes measured in years70° F80° F90° F100° F0 yrs5 yrs10 yrs15 yrs20 yrs25 yrs30 yrs35 yrs40 yrsTorch 2 ply CoatedEPDM RubberTPO VinylTorch 1 ply No CoatTorch 1 Ply CoatedMeasured In Years
|Temp||70° F||80° F||90° F||100° F|
|Torch 2 Ply Coated||45||40||38||35|
|Torch 1 ply No Coat||14||11||9||8|
|Torch 1 Ply Coated||35||32||28||27|
Step 3: Identify where the area is that causes the problem to make the necessary Rubber Membrane Repairs.
Each Roofing System has there own issues that could cause leaks. Once you know what Roofing System you have and how old it is, then proceed to the section that applies. Gucci Roofing