- Installing shingles on a low pitch roof. See images below.
- To nail down flashing.
- Installing a second layer of shingle over a roof that is not suited for it.
- Skylights that are meant for flat roofs are installed on pitched roofs.
- Not adequate flashing against a wall or transition areas to another roof.
Common mistakes by roofers – they install shingles on a flat roof. So many so-called roofers have no idea where to draw the line between what is suppose to be the flat roof and what is a pitched roof. The homeowner will pay for that inexperience. Shingles on a low pitch roof like this one are just not right.
Help me with Google - please!
Click the 5 Stars at the top. If you have time write a comment at the bottom - Thanks
Installing shingles on a low sloping roof
This is a very common mistake. If there is a skylight, that will increase the chances of a leak. What compounded the problem on this roof is that there was a skylight. The skylight will cause more leaks due to the low pitch of the roof.
Roofing Cement – Tar
Tar – tar – tar. Why so many people believe that tar will solve a roof leak. The tar that was smeared around this skylight just made it worse. When you use tar you have to be careful not to cover some flashing areas like the bottom part of this skylight. The pitch of this roof is too low to even try to make a repair. The best way is to strip and remove the shingles and install a rubber roof.
Where Roofs meet
When two roofs meet, there is a potential to have a problem, but when you add a third element to this (skylight), then you asking for a leak. The design of this roof is also wrong. When you see a corner of a skylight flashing in a valley, you know that will cause a leak.
Suggestions on how to handle this low pitch shingled roof
Suggestions on what to do
- Strip the shingle off from the low pitch roof
- Clean and repair flashing around skylights and wall areas
- Remove shingles from adjacent roof about 5 rows up
- Install fiberglass base paper
- Install new drip edge
- Install Modified Bitumen Rubber membrane Torch Down going up unto adjacent roof
- Re-install shingle over membrane on adjacent roof
The low pitch area on the roof to be stripped and be replaced with the rubber membrane